the liberated voice
Morning Voice Sessions
Here you will find two "Morning Awakening the voice" Sessions.
One shorter that you do the first thing you do before opening your eyes in the morning and a longer one that you do sitting up.
You choose one of them.
BENEFITS with THE SHORT-IN-THE-BED-ONE and especially with THE LONGER-SITTING-ONE:
You are establishing/awakening the connection You and your voice (the voice will then communicate YOU better throughout the day); the vocal cords gets a soft start of the day and will be able to carry out more and last longer; body- and/or mind tensions are partly released; enhanced integrity; enhanced self-consciousness; enhanced immune system (!); enhanced ability to regenerate your body; enhanced well-being; breathing is harmonized; enhanced delivery of oxygen.
1. Stay in bed. On the back. Eyes closed.
With an open mouth (!) take 5 breaths. IN through the nostrils. OUT through the mouth. Let them be deep. Stay present in every moment of each and every one.
Allow the stillness efter every exhale.
2. Continue the calm breating and allow a sigh with every exhale (keep the stillness after the exhale). With every new exhale you allow the sigh to become longer and longer eventually you develop it to a groan.
End when you feel you are ready for the next step.
3. With the help of your hands, pull down the jaw a couple of times and leave it hanging and with a released jaw close your lips preparing the sound of M.
4. Start humming on the M. Enjoy the humming and the vibration in the chest.
Have the intension to release tensions from the night, the day before or the expectations of the day. Keep on humming until you feel ready to end.
Note: you do every step as long as feels right to you.
B. THE LONGER-SITTING-ONE
Closed eyes. Find a seated position. It could be on the floor or on a chair. What´s important is that you want to be able to have an upright but released sitting position with a good feeling of grunded root and a light head on a long neck.
1. Explore the sensation of sitting. Sense the root of your spine and the connection to earth. Sense the length of the neck and the head weightlessly floating on top of it. You may wanna enhance that feeling through rocking and rolling your pelvis, trunk and head - like a grass in the wind.
2. Take 7 breath - IN and OUT through the mouth (!).
Stay present in every moment of the breate and allow the stillness efter every exhale.
3. Continue the calm breating and allow a sigh with every exhale (keep the stillness after the exhale). With every new exhale you al you the sigh to become longer and eventually you develop it into a groan.
End when you feel you are ready for the next step:
With the help of your hands, pull down the jaw a couple of times and leave it hanging and with a released jaw close your lips preparing the sound of M.
4. Keep eyes closed. Put one hand on the heart/chest.
Imagine the chest space, your personal cathedral (or whatever image feels right) wherein your heart is living and wherein your voice likes to move but up till now has been sleeping.
Start sounding the sound of M and allow it to arrive in the chest.
There is no pushing of the sound nor pushing of the voice. It is simply the intention and feeling of allowing it to sound and to move down in to the chest space. Allow the sound to vibrate your chest.
From the inside comes the vibration of your voice and from the outside your hands are confirming you, the body and your voice in your "heartspace".
Allow the the stillness after every exhale.
5. Now allow the voice to find the "easy" tone. A light and easy tone where it can stay for a while. Let´s call it " your key tone".
You may need to search a little until you find that easy tone that vibrates almost by itself. Maybe you don't fint it at first. Don't worry. In time it will come.
Let the voice vibrate on that single tone. Again and again. Stay connected! Connected to the tone, the voice, your chest, your body with all its sensations.
6. Now you allow the voice to move, sliding up and down in tiny little steps.
Stay connected to the body sensations of it!
That is the key: The precense and the connection You and Voice! Its not at all about making music. Its simply allowing it to free and move up and down: (And your voice loves to move you!) Allow it to move inside the chest until you feel ready for the next step.
7. Stay with that single and easy tone you had in step 5.
Tone with M and in the same breath move to O (swedish Å) and then back to M again. All in when breath. Dont make it to long. Keep the ease and the stillness. You dont want to stress your breathing .
Enjoy the MMMMMOOOOOOOMM ( Swedish: MMMMMÅÅÅÅÅÅMM ).
Visualize: The M allows the voice in to the chest. With O you are allowing it out through the chest. With M again you're bringing it back HOME to you again - in to the home of the heart, the chest.
Repeat the M-O-M on one tone several times and then slowly bring back the moving up and down again that you had with step 6.
8. End with 3 single toned M-O-M and finally 3 deep breaths.
Now you are ready for the rest of the day.
Whatever your next thing to do is, whether meditating, yoga, breakfast or bringing up the kids, you will notice the difference doing it.
During the day you can always take a 15 second of and do either an M or an M-O-M.
It will benefit You and the Voice that is your friend.
* * *
Note 1: Its important to do the session before you use your voice in another way the first thing in the morning. That is: to not start the day using your voice in the habitual way but to start ”from the beginning”.
You do every step as long as feels right to you.
Note 3: If you're not used to breathing and/or voicing -exercises/sessions even a simple thing like breathing deep and calmly or even sounding a tone with an internal fokus may stir up some emotions or bring up some unpleasant memories.
That may happen and its perfectly normal. It can be compared to shaking a bottle with fruit juice that has been standing for some days. The solid parts has fallen down to the bottom of the bottle (the uncounscious) and now, through shaking, it is brought to the surface (the day-counsciousness). The shaking of the bottle is what happens when you allow your body a deep breath or you're letting your voice vibrate it with allowance. It stir up the solid parts that needs to come in motion. And you get emotional. But remember that motion is the first step towards healing.
However, the morning sessions is not meant to awake emotions, but to awake the voice and connect you to it. The session doesn't have the necessary follow-up-steps for an emotional work.
However, what happens happens. So if emotions are rising, you can choose to stay with it - with presence, allowance and no-judgement. And then to stabilize yourself: tone a single and deep tone connected with the intention of Stabilizing and Harmonizing. This will soothe the mind.